Friday, December 3, 2010

Hot Chocolate Math Game

This game was extremely easy to make and provided lots of entertainment for E.  It was, by far, his favorite this week.

I took a large mug, a small cup, and a scrap of brown felt and made it into fake hot chocolate.  I wrapped the small cup in felt and taped it in place.  I then slipped it into the mug.  Luckily, my cup fit perfectly inside my mug.  I added a bag of marshmallows and a homemade die (made out of a lacing bead) to the tray and we were ready to play.

Day 1, we simply rolled the die and practiced counting marshmallows as we placed them into the "hot chocolate".  E got to eat one after each of his turns (perhaps why he liked the tray so much).


Day 2, I made up a new game (on the fly) to make it a bit more challenging.  This time we took turns.  E rolled the die and counted out his marshmallows (without eating).  Then, I rolled and had to either add or take away (eat) marshmallows to make the new number.  We continued to go back and forth for quite some time.

I was amazed at how well this went.  E was very focused and actually got the concept.  He really liked the marshmallows and wanted to eat them.  It made him really think about whether he had to add or he could eat.


When he would add, I noticed him checking back to see how many he had and then counting on to the new number.  I really encouraged this.  This is a great skill for him to learn and was excited to see it happening so naturally.

As for subtracting, he would set aside the number he was supposed to keep and then look at me while pointing to the leftovers and ask "I eat these, Mommy?".  I had modeled this a couple times and thought it would be a stretch to expect it of him, but he surprised me.

I never dreamed the game would go this well.  I was going to be happy simply counting out marshmallows for the week.  The fact that it became much more made any guilt about marshmallow consumption melt away in my fake hot chocolate.

E blowing on his hot chocolate.

If you want to see some more of our Christmas activities click here.  I will be posting some new ideas soon.

Tot School
E is currently 29 months.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome game! We will have to play this very soon- thank you.

    ReplyDelete