Friday, December 10, 2010

Santa Sight Words

E has started recognizing a few sight words.  As such, I was looking for a fun sight word game that would fit into our Christmas theme.  I couldn't find one that I liked, so I decided to make one on my own.

I stumbled across some Santa Sight Words and thought it would be fun to make a house with a chimney that he could drop the cards down as he practiced them.


I took a box and wrapped it in wrapping paper.  I, then, took the scraps (flaps of the box) and made a door, windows,  roof and chimney.  The smoke is a white piece of felt taped to the inside of the chimney.


I cut out the Santa Sight Words and we said them out loud as we dropped them down the chimney.  E would then say "Be careful, St. Nick!".  It was too cute.


Check out more of our Christmas ideas by clicking here.


Tot School
E is currently 29 months old.

6 comments:

  1. aaw I love that house-what a great idea! Is he learning words by sigbht then rather than phonetics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from over at 1+1+1=1. I don't think I've ever visited before, but our sons are real close in age. I went back about 5 or 6 posts and saw the incredible things you are doing. I love how creative you are in making so many different things for activities. It's incredible how he took to the math activity with the marshmallows and the things he's doing with sight words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona - We do play with letter sounds as well. Mostly, he uses letter sounds to identify initial sounds of words. Recently, he has started to recognize a few words and so I have tried to introduce some new ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! And he's too cute with telling him to be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! :)

    Would you like to stop by our toddler's related linky (each Friday) and add your ideas: http://best-toys-for-toddler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete